Thursday, October 20, 2016

What I Heard This Morning: No Word from China by pel mel

Silly me... I thought I'd discovered a new band when I selected a track at random on BandCamp this morning, but it turns out "No Word from China" by pel mel is almost as old as I am. For obvious reasons, the song brought to mind "Hong Kong Garden" by Siouxsie and the Banshees. And it's not just because of the titles; the lead vocalist (Judy McGee, I'm guessing, based on what I could gather from Wikipedia) sounds a lot like Siouxsie Sioux, and the music gives off a post-punk vibe. I'm also reminded of Bauhaus. There's a galloping, almost mechanical, hi-hat on the rhythm track that gives the song some urgency, a sense that's underscored by the stabbing rhythm guitar that comes in and out throughout the song. Great music for making an escape.

The track is $1 (Australian) on BandCamp. If you like it, buy it.

2 comments:

  1. Glad you like it. Jude McGee - pel mel singer - has just put out an album of brand new material https://judemcgeeandthesofttouch.bandcamp.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I'll definitely check that out!

    ReplyDelete